A fun-to-knit beanie pattern will serve a knitter well during the winter season. Not only are beanies a great way to keep warm, but hand-knit hats are easy to make and always popular gifts. This beanie can be worn cuffed for a classic look or slouchy in a trendier style, so it’s the perfect hat for anyone. The textured stitch pattern keeps things interesting while you’re knitting, and it adds an attractive detail to the hat without being too flashy or feminine.
- 1 skein Cascade 220 Heathers
- 16 inch US 8/5 mm circular needles or size needed to get 9 stitches and 12 rows over 2 inches in stockinette
- Stitch marker
- Yarn needle
- Measuring tape
1. Knit the Brim
Cast on 96 stitches, place marker, and join in the round.
- Repeat Round 1 29 more times or until the piece measures approximately 5 inches.
- Round 31: Knit to the end of the round.
- Round 32: *P3, k1; repeat from * to the end of the round.
- Repeat Rounds 31-32 14 more times or until the piece measures approximately 10 inches.
2. Knit the Crown
- Round 61: [K10, k2tog] 8 times. 88 stitches.
- Round 62: [P3, k1] twice, p1, k2tog] 8 times. 80 stitches.
- Round 63: [K8, k2tog] 8 times. 72 stitches.
- Round 64: [P3, k1, p3, k2tog] 8 times. 64 stitches.
- Round 65: [K6, k2tog] 8 times. 56 stitches.
- Round 66: [P3, k1, p1, k2tog] 8 times. 48 stitches.
- Round 67: [K4, k2tog] 8 times. 40 stitches.
- Round 68: [P3, k2tog] 8 times. 32 stitches.
- Round 69: [K2, k2tog] 8 times. 24 stitches.
- Round 70: [P1, k2tog] 8 times. 16 stitches.
- Round 71: K2tog 8 times. 8 stitches.
- Round 72: K2tog 4 times. 4 stitches.
3. Finishing Up
With four stitches still on your needle, cut your yarn leaving a long tail. Using the yarn needle, run the yarn through the four stitches and slip them off your needle.
Pull the tail tight to gather the crown of the hat. Tie off your yarn to secure.
Try Different Styles
Fold up the cuff on your hat for a cozy and classic look. The extra layer of fabric over your ears will keep them twice as warm!
Or wear it long and uncuffed to look casual and cool. The laid-back style of a slouchy hat is hard to resist.
How will you wear your hat?
Love this tutorial? You can find more knitting patterns and tutorials here.
Envato Tuts+ tutorials are translated into other languages by our community members—you can be involved too!Translate this post